A kind of genetic analysis by which inheritance of a particular gene is traced in the family of a person is called as Pedigree Analysis. It is done by means of a pedigree chart which is a scientific chart of ancestors drawn with the help of certain specific symbols to indicate male, female, carrier, disease, etc. Pedigree analysis helps in:
1. To analyse and predict if the gene is present in homozygous or heterozygous condition.
2. Analysis of the inheritance of the said gene over various generations of the same family.
3. To understand if the specific genetic disorder is caused due to the dominant or the recessive gene.
4. To analyse the origin of the said disease in the family and try to determine its cause.
5. To predict the possibility of inheritance of this gene in future generations and the probability of the same.
6. To provide genetic counselling to the families with high risk of different genetic disorders like haemophilia, sickle cell anaemia, etc. By studying these charts genetic counsellors can help in preventing certain genetic disorders like haemophilia, sickle cell anaemia in future generation of that family.
Mention any two autosomal genetic disorders with their symptoms.
Who had proposed the chromosomal theory of inheritance?
What is point mutation? Give one example.
Explain the terms with example Incomplete dominance
Explain the terms with example Co-dominance